[c-nsp] Strange behavior in a Cisco CPE

Troy Beisigl troy at i2bnetworks.com
Thu Jul 3 16:04:34 EDT 2008

Hi All,

We are seeing some really strange behavior on a Cisco 1721 CPE. It
acts like we are having a connectivity problem with packet loss or
very high latency. There is about 86Kbps to 350Kbps of traffic on it.
It has  WIC-1DSU-T1 card and is doing just basic static routes with a
Full T1. There are no errors on the T1. If I log into the router and
try to send say 1000 icmp packets to something on the other end of the
T1, it will go for few packets and then pause for about 15 to 20
seconds before continuing right where it stopped. It never drops any
packets, just freezes and then continues. It does this about every
minute or 2. Has anyone seen this before?

Nothing shows up in the logs and we have rebooted it with no
resolution to the problem. Pings to and through the router from
outside never stop or drop when this happens either, but it is causing
problems with QoS for VoIP. CPU load is nothing and RAM is fine.

#sh proc cpu
CPU utilization for five seconds: 0%/0%; one minute: 1%; five minutes:
2%

#sh mem
                 Head    Total(b)     Used(b)     Free(b)   Lowest(b)
Largest(b)
Processor   80A9C858     3134376     1932072     1202304
1024128     1089528
       I/O     D99C00     2515976     1661620      854356
854356      854300

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

-Troy