[c-nsp] C6509-E air flow

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Tue Jul 8 09:42:34 EDT 2008

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008, Pavel Skovajsa wrote:

> we have a C6509-E with interesting temperature issue. The EARL chip on
> module 1 detects temperature over 65C and the whole module shuts down.
> We have swapped the chassis, fan, module and sup and still have the
> same issue. The interesting part is when we moved the card in module 1
> into module 2 - no temperature issue.
>> From this I deduce that we have some kind of air flow issues, as
> module 1 has worse air flow than module 2. Does somebody have some
> nice doc that describes the C6509-E air flow? Or maybe a recomendation
> about the room air conditioning, or air flow in the room.

The 6509-E has right-to-left airflow like the non-E version.  Make sure
nothing is blocking the intake vents on the right side of the chassis and
that nothing in the cabinet/rack to the right (if there is one) is
exhausting hot air toward the 6509-E.

I have several 6509s (E and non-E) in production and have had no
temperature issues with them, aside from one that was located in a dirty
area and the intake vents got fouled.  Once the obstruction was cleared,
the temperature alarms went away.

jms