[c-nsp] WCCP with a PIX-515 and CE-590, any config suggestions to make this play?

Howard Leadmon howard at leadmon.net
Thu Jul 10 11:23:59 EDT 2008

 I just happened to end up with a CE-590 falling into my hands, so figured
I'd try and learn a little about it.   In my network here I have a PIX-515
firewall running the 8.x code base.  On the Content Engine I loaded up the
lastest ACNS 5.5.x code for it.

 Looking at the various docs, it seems like almost a no-brainer to set this
thing up to use WCCP, so off I went.  I put in the configs on both the CE
and PIX and it showed the GRE tunnel was up and happy. Still it doesn't seem
to be caching pages from what I can see on the CE.

I went to a webserver I control at a remote location, as according to the
docs it will actually show the requesting IP as coming from the
cache-engine, plus I would assume on successive page reloads it would get it
from the CE, not keep asking the remote web-server.  Which is not the case,
funny though as if I told the CE I wanted HTTP auth to access things, it
sure enforced that.

On the CE I have the following in the config:
!
http proxy incoming 80
!
wccp router-list 1 xx.xx.xx.xx     (xx is the IP address of the PIX)
wccp web-cache router-list-num 1
wccp version 2
!

On the PIX I have the following.

!
wccp web-cache
wccp interface LAN web-cache redirect in
!

Where of course LAN is my inside interface on my network.

Maybe I am missing something, but from all I can find, making the two talk
WCCP to each other to cache web requests looks like it should be that
simple.   As I am not having much luck, I figured I'd see if anyone here has
worked with this combination before, and what you did to get it all going..

---
Howard Leadmon