[c-nsp] Crypto map + traffic via "ip route vrf ... global"

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Tue Jul 15 07:12:22 EDT 2008

Hi Stig,

On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 12:38 +0200, Stig Johansen wrote:
> Make sure the traffic enters the VRF correctly via a ISAKMP-profile.
> Check the following quickly hacked example:

Thank you (and others) very much. It was exactly the VRF part of the
ISAKMP profile that was missing. It seems a little unintuitive to me; I
thought that the traffic on the outside interface was "non VRF" when
going towards the global next hop, and that I could thus use a regular
ISAKMP setup for the IPSec tunnel.

BTW: Is this "crypto isakmp profile" the new "best practice" way of
doing things? It seems to be the only way to make the example work, but
sometimes I feel it's a little overkill to have to define key-ring +
profile instead of just using "crypto key ...". Are there other benefits
of the profile way of doing things?

> Given that the peers are directly connected at outside interfaces with a
> 192.0.2.0/24-network. If not, adjust peer-ip's and add default route in
> global routingtable. No routing *into* VRF's are needed, just outgoing
> for the network-destination to be routed out into global-table,
> encrypted or not.

Ok. I presume the routing back into the VRF is needed if the traffic is
not encrypted. Otherwise the router wouldn't know how to process
incoming traffic. I guess with the ISAKMP/IPSec setup the router can
infer where to route traffic, but without it would have no clue.

Regards,
Peter