[c-nsp] Need advise on Cisco Switch/Fibre Connectivity

Nimal David Sirimanne nimal at fnbs.net
Wed Jul 23 02:20:40 EDT 2008

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the advice! and yes, 3750's look like their a tad overkill.
2960's are just what i need.

Need to ask somemore noob questions. Based on the product lit, i need to
get a device with an SFP transceiver to plug in a fibre connector?. And
SFP ports are included in switches that have "dual-purpose uplinks"? So
my choices right now are:

WS-C2960-24PC-L

• 24 Ethernet 10/100 PoE ports and 2 dual-purpose uplinks
• 1 RU fixed-configuration
• LAN Base Image installed

WS-C2960-24TC-L

• 24 Ethernet 10/100 ports and 2 dual-purpose uplinks (each dual-purpose
uplink port has one 10/100/1000 Ethernet port and 1 SFP-based Gigabit
Ethernet port, 1 port active)
• 1 RU fixed-configuration
• LAN Base Image installed

I'm terribly confused. Any help on this matter is much appreciated. Any
site that actually deciphers these "PC-L" or "TC-L" or any of the cisco
abbreviations?