[c-nsp] Cisco 6500 Chassis PDU

Matt Addison maddison at iquest.net
Wed Jul 23 15:24:13 EDT 2008

> Relying on a breaker in another room, that someone else might flip
without
> your knowledge, seems like a recipe for getting hurt.  Does anyone
> actually do this?

We do this in our telco room, but it's only a few hundred sf and the
BDFB is under 40' away from any direct connected equipment (and on the
same aisle)- although we are in the process of replacing these with FAPs
to save fuse positions on the BDFB (since we'd really rather not have to
add another main distribution panel onto a live DC bus...)

In any case, it's not that much different than what AC electricians have
to deal with since most of the time your switchboard/panelboard isn't in
the same room as the equipment you're working on, just deal with it the
same way they do- by locking/tagging out the circuit while you're
working on it. Hell even if it's same-rack work you should probably do
this lest you step away for a few minutes and some other guy comes along
and says "oh, fuse popped out with no tag, let me just stick that back
in..."

~Matt