[c-nsp] 6500 NDE aging "prematurely"

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Jun 4 08:42:33 EDT 2008

Ben Hicks wrote:
> Forgive me if I'm missing something but you are looking at the actual
> end times of the TCP flows, not the exports (which happen continuously
> in chunks anyway). The flows will be reported as they end. So a 30
> second connection will be reported once its finished, not at the end of
> the 5 minute period.

That was not my understanding. My understanding was that the flow start
and end times were of the first and last packets seen, and that a flow
should be exported when:

  now - last_packet >= 300 seconds

...with default aging timers.

So, if we have 3 packets:

  12:35:00
  12:36:00
  12:37:00

...the flow should be exported at ~12:42 i.e. 300 seconds after the last
packet.