[c-nsp] EoMPLS 7200? was EoMPLS - 6509

Pelle perc69+cnsp at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 04:02:33 EDT 2008

> What would one recommend to be able to achieve EoMPLS ?
>
> Customers 1,2,3,4 all want to be on a VPLS style of service, the links
> between sites are all just Ethernet over microwave.

EoMPLS is *very* different from VPLS. EoMPLS is just a plain
point-to-point connection where the pe's just do transparent bridging
(no mac learning). in contrast VPLS is point-to-multipoint and the
pe's builds an "mac to egress-pe/pseudowire" table to known where to
forward a frame (yes, this is an 10000 feet view of VPLS).

> I've been looking around and 7204VXR + NPE-400 + PA-GE's look to be an
> option, the budget is basically driving this upgrade.

as said before on this list: a 7200 don't do VPLS, but EoMPLS works fine.

if you don't have the hardware in stock, drop the npe-400/pa-ge combo
and get a npe-g1 or g2 instead. they give you more ge ports and have
better performance for a few extra dollars. a 7201 is also an option
if one pa-slot suffice.

--
pelle