[c-nsp] Aggregation for multiple ISDN customers

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Mon Jun 9 16:20:01 EDT 2008

root net wrote:
> Jay,
>
> You are correct the ISDN PTP loop is confusing. I am talking a dedicated
> ISDN line that dials only one other ISDN line on the ISP side to make up
> a PTP loop if you will.  Hopefully that clears.  Unlimited ISDN BRI
> service is what we will order for the customer cheaper and safer.  After
> contacting the LEC, they do not offer IDSL so handing off to our ATM is
> out of the question.  Thank you for your help!

Sounds like you want a PRI.  This is a T-1 that will accommodate up to
23x64 kbps channels, so 11 customers connected at 128k and one at 64k.

This works just like dial-up.  In fact you can use the same circuit and
gear for dial-up if there are modems on the terminating gear.

A Cisco 5300 or 5350 will do the trick, and the same PRI on the same box
can also be used for VoIP termination if you want to.

Another option, no longer manufactured but cheap and bulletproof is the
Livingston/Lucent Portmaster 3.  These things run forever.  No VoIP
though.  Portmasters.com has them.  Each box handles two PRIs, and you
can do multi-chassis multilink PPP if you need more.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net