[c-nsp] IEEE 802.3ad interoperability

Andrew Girling agirling at denetron.com
Wed Jun 18 21:47:45 EDT 2008

On Jun 18, 2008, at 11:50 AM, Adam Greene wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thinking of firing up LACP between a Cisco 3560G and a Netgear (yes
> a Netgear -- ugh) gigabit switch (GSM7224).
>
> Should LACP just work? Or is this the kind of thing where if any
> kind of reliability is desired, I need to pop in another Cisco on
> the other end ...
>
> Thanks,
> Adam

Hi Adam,

I've found Cisco's IEEE 802.3ad interoperability to be strong.  I'm
not sure how the 3560G compares, but I've been deploying Cisco 3750G's
using LACP to Nortel 55xx series switches successfully for more than 2
years now.  There has only been one gotcha in this time, in which
certain 3750G-48ps in a stack would not form the channel-group
correctly, which was resolved by Cisco's TAC.  The instances of this
have been limited, and had to do with a particular hardware revision/
software version. I'd say we ran into this in about 5 of 800+ switches
deployed to date.

So, I'd say your chances of success are high.  Best of luck!

Cheers,

Andrew