[c-nsp] IP adressing

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Wed Jun 25 10:06:56 EDT 2008

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008, Gary Roberton wrote:

> If I have got a 'real' IP address range provided to me by provider A and I
> want to close their link and either move it to provider B or get my own AS
> to advertise it myself, can I do this?

If provider A has control of the parent block, then you will have to
give it back when you end your business relationship with that provider.
Chances are that the provider flags their space as non-portable.

If you have control of your whole block and provider A is just providing
transit, i.e. announcing the block into the global routing table on your
behalf and routing it back to you, then you can move it to another
provider without too much trouble.

> As I understand it, it will be part of a greater block that has to remain
> with provider A and they do not have to relinquish control of it.  We are
> talking about a full class B here though.

In classless routing terms, that would be a /16.  I'd suspect this is a
legacy block that your provider is announcing on your behalf.  It's
unlikely that a provider would assign you a contiguous /16 of space - they
would have directed you to your local RIR long ago to get provider
independent space directly from them.

There might be a little bit of a terminology gap here.  If you want, shoot
me an email off-list with your current address range, and I can tell you
if it's part of a provider's range.

jms