[c-nsp] BGP sessions won't establish.

Roy r.engehausen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 20:49:06 EDT 2008

Steve Bertrand wrote:
> Roy wrote:
>> Hi,
>
> Hi. My message is long, but its from one small op to apparently
> another.  It appears as the OP is on a similar page I am on. I am
> always willing to accept criticism, on, and/or off-list.
>
>> We are working with a new ISP for service.  This one is via metro
>> ethernet.  They require two BGP sessions.  One goes between the ends
>> of the ethernet.  The other BGP session is between a loopback
>> interface on our router and a loopback interface on one of the ISP's
>> other routers.
>>
>> The first session comes up just fine but the second one using
>> loopback interfaces will not establish.
>
> What state does is sit in?

Active

>> I did some packet traces using a Linux box and tcpdump and it would
>> seem that the packets from our loopback session go into the metro
>> ethernet and disappear.
>
> What within your datagram trace makes you think this?
When I issue the "clear ip bgp xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx", I see outgoing connect
packets and no responses.

>> When their router tries to connect, the packets arrive and responses
>> are sent but they too seem to be ignored.
>
> Do you have a datagram capture from their side that identifies (and
> proves) that they receive and send you information? What is the status
> on their router regarding a 'sh ip bgp sum' at the time?
No.. They keep telling me its our problem.

> Do your datagram captures prove that a TCP session is established?
It proves it isn't

> Can they can show you the information from the datagrams they captured
> that identify the header info, including the src/dst address info (L2
> and IP), size of received and returned datagram and port numbers src/dst?
They haven't run a capture.

>> The ISP blames us of course.  I told them the packets seem to be
>> going out the switch port to the metro ethernet.
>
> Heh, I'm in the same boat, but with other upper-layer applications
> over TCP. I've had to dive head first into self-edumication regarding
> tracking traffic via Layer-2 header info.
>
> The ISP that is not willing to fully troubleshoot and/or ask for help
> will always blame you. I'm learning this from a small ISP standpoint
> who has larger ISPs. I despise blame laying, sometimes I feel bad even
> when I can without a doubt point my finger.
>
> (For those who are ops way above my head please forgive me)... but
> unless the remote end can produce conclusive logs that state
> otherwise, call their bluff. It's one thing to deny a problem, its
> completely another to state that you just don't know at this time
> (IMHO), and that you will get back to them once its investigated further.

I feel basically the same way.  Of course tech people at any "big" ISP
always feel they are more experienced and us small guys are just
beginners.   After all, if I was an expert, I would be working for the
big guys :-)   When they find out I have been around the block more than
a few times then I am an old fart who is stuck in the stone age.

Roy