[c-nsp] 7200 vxr as analog dialup access server with PRI

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Tue Mar 4 09:25:32 EST 2008

Jon Lewis wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Mar 2008, Joe Maimon wrote:
>
>> Is there any way to get the vxr to support analog dialup access using
>> pri t1's?
>
> Hook it up via DSIC card to an AS5800 dial shelf.  Unless you've got large
> numbers of PRI to terminate and someone else is paying for power and
> cooling, I'd suggest you look at AS5300 dial gear instead.

And if you do buy an after-market AS5300 (there is no other way any
longer since they are EoEveryhing) make sure you buy plenty of spare
parts.  Every 5300 I own has at least 1 failed fan.  I've had PSUs fail.
  I've even had the main PRI cards themselves crap out on me.  The age
of the hardware involved is great enough that things just start failing
for no apparent reason other than gremlins or metal whiskers.

Justin