[c-nsp] vtp/spanning tree limitation

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Mon Mar 17 05:47:52 EDT 2008

Hi,
> Hi Folks.
> Hope you can help me out here.
> What is the maximum numbers off switches that at vtp-domain can handle.
> I was told that it was 64 is that correct, or has this something to do with  spanning tree ??

the number of VLANs that switches can support for VTP depends on the make
and model of switch. and depends on what type of spanning-tree you are
doing.  comonly the number of VLANs supported with per-vlan
spanning tree is 64 to 128.   dont forget, there is also the maximum
'depth' of switches - ie core -> core -> aggregator -> aggregator -> edge -> edge
- distance from spanning-tree root to final edge is 8 devices IIRC

alan