[c-nsp] Netflow Top Talkers?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Mar 18 06:41:10 EDT 2008

Hi,

(I agree to your other post regarding "overall effort" - yes, if you
bring a netflow collector into the picture, netflow is more effort)

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 08:34:29PM +1030, Ben Steele wrote:
> As much as I hate replying to my own posts I just had to bring it up
> for my own knowledge.
>
> IIRC enabling ip route-cache flow on a subinterface makes it global
> for the entire interface, is that right/still the case? in which case
> I think is the reason I preferred using ip accounting when looking for
> a quick view of an offender on a router.

More recent IOSes permit to set "ip flow ingress" instead of
"ip route-cache flow" - and "ip flow ingress" can be enabled on
individual sub-interfaces.

It does not actually *do* anything different as far as I know (as there
is no forwarding path "netflow switching" anymore), but still, it's two
different commands, not just an alias "old style / new style".

I'm not exactly sure anymore at what time "ip flow ingress" appeared,
but it's certainly in 12.2S and 12.3.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de