[c-nsp] Prepare for router Wednesday

Buhrmaster, Gary gtb at slac.stanford.edu
Wed Mar 26 22:18:31 EDT 2008

> For example one of the vulnerabilities was a DLSw issue.  If
> you're not running DLSw anywhere, then there's not much need
> to continue reading that bulletin.

>From Microsoft Tuesday experience, that is not an entirely
safe approach.  You have to read far enough into the advisory
so that you are sure you are not running some combination
of features that end up enabling the vulnerability as a
side effect.  While Cisco has fewer side effects than some
vendors, sometimes a default is not what one would expect,
and just reading the title is not adequate (oh, you mean
I get proxy-arp by default?)

Carefully reading a handful of emails every six months
(and others as necessary for active exploits) does not
feel like a large burden to me.  But I may be unique.

Gary