[c-nsp] DOM for 6724, could it be??

Chris Griffin cgriffin at ufl.edu
Sun Mar 30 18:36:55 EDT 2008

Unfortunately this does appear to be hardware related and not so much
code related.  Did some checks and HW 3.0 and 3.1 6724s read the DOM
information, 2.4 and 2.3 do not.  It even works on SXF9.

show int transceiver supported-list
Transceiver Type           Cisco p/n min version
                                supporting DOM
------------------       -------------------------

    DWDM GBIC                ALL
    DWDM SFP                 ALL
    RX only WDM GBIC         ALL
    DWDM XENPAK              ALL
    DWDM X2                  ALL
    DWDM XFP                 ALL
    CWDM GBIC                NONE
    CWDM X2                  ALL
    CWDM XFP                 ALL
    XENPAK ZR                ALL
    X2 ZR                    ALL
    XFP ZR                   ALL
    Rx_only_WDM_XENPAK       ALL
    XENPAK_ER                10-1888-04
    X2_ER                    ALL
    XFP_ER                   ALL
    XENPAK_LR                10-1838-04
    X2_LR                    ALL
    XFP_LR                   ALL
    XENPAK_LW                ALL
    X2_LW                    ALL
    XFP_LW                   NONE
    XENPAK SR                NONE
    X2 SR                    ALL
    XFP SR                   ALL
    XENPAK LX4               NONE
    X2 LX4                   NONE
    XFP LX4                  NONE
    XENPAK CX4               NONE
    X2 CX4                   NONE
    SX GBIC                  NONE
    LX GBIC                  NONE
    ZX GBIC                  NONE
    CWDM_SFP                 ALL
    Rx_only_WDM_SFP          NONE
    SX_SFP                   ALL
    LX_SFP                   ALL
    ZX_SFP                   ALL
    SX SFP                   NONE
    LX SFP                   NONE
    ZX SFP                   NONE
    GIgE BX U SFP            NONE
    GigE BX D SFP            ALL

My guess is SX_SFP are the newer SFP-GE-S guys.  If it turns out to be
an improvement to 3.0+ revs of the 6724, I sure hope they come out with
a unique partnumber for it so I can be assured that all future purchases
have that capability.  You think they would have learned from the whole
Xenpack thing (and hence we now have Xenpack+'s).  This does seem to
indicate that earlier boards are not hardware capable of reading the
information which is a bit depressing...

Thanks
Chris

Chris Griffin                           cgriffin at ufl.edu
Sr. Network Engineer - CCNP             Phone: (352) 273-1051
CNS - Network Services                  Fax:   (352) 392-9440
University of Florida/FLR               Gainesville, FL 32611