[c-nsp] trunks, vlans and a metroLAN

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Thu May 1 14:09:17 EDT 2008

On May 1, 2008, at 1:39 PM, Peter Rathlev wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 17:06 +0200, Benny Amorsen wrote:
>> Eric Van Tol <eric at atlantech.net> writes:
>>> Are /31 subnets valid for an ethernet network nowadays?
>>
>> See RFC 3021.
>
> So the answer is: No, not unless Ethernet is "point-to-point", which
> it
> isn't.

	I think this is really something that is dependent on your equipment,
etc..

	There are a number of routers/switches/whatnot that do the right
thing.  There are some that don't.  On infrastructure where you
control there's no reason you can't decide to use /31's.  I might even
use them with clued peers, but I don't think they'd be wise to use on
a customer connection.  Some various combinations of the "it-depends"
apply here.  There are reasons to not use a /127 in IPv6-land so using
a /126 or even a /64 depending on the platform(s) involved may be
required.

	- Jared