[c-nsp] Internet vrf, pros and cons

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Tue May 6 22:59:27 EDT 2008

On Wednesday 07 May 2008, Rubens Kuhl Jr. wrote:

> The issue with VRFs is that it can't do policy routing,
> because it's already a routing table selection... I agree
> that box security should be taken care with CoPP. Put
> Internet customers on the main VRF, but carefully design
> ACL, policy-routing and CoPP to reach your security
> goals. VRFs are great with overlapping IP spaces, but on
> the Internet where everybody on the world agrees on an
> addressing plan, just use plaing routing.

I agree with this - having global (Internet) routes in a
VRF, I think, adds complexity.

One situation where we have considered doing this is when we
want a specific PE router to have access to only a specific
set of routes on a public border router. Other than that,
we keep it quite simple :-).

Cheers,

Mark.