[c-nsp] 3750 etherchannel only using 1 port

Fred Reimer freimer at ctiusa.com
Wed May 7 10:29:21 EDT 2008

I'm not sure what you meant by the term "purely statistical" when referring
to EtherChannel load balancing, but I think it may give a false impression.
If you meant that the results of the load balancing would be "by chance" and
statistically average out over time then that's incorrect.  EtherChannel
load balancing is very deterministic.  You can tell exactly what port will
be selected based on the load-balancing protocol and the number of ports.
There's even a SP command to tell you what would be selected on the 6500
platform (test etherchannel load-balance interface pox ip y.y.y.y z.z.z.z in
a remote login switch session).

If you have a relatively low number of very high throughput streams you can
use the actual protocols to map out what ports would be selected, and choose
the appropriate protocol for your specific needs.

Fred Reimer, CISSP, CCNP, CQS-VPN, CQS-ISS
Senior Network Engineer
Coleman Technologies, Inc.
954-298-1697