[c-nsp] 3750 etherchannel only using 1 port

Andre Beck cisco-nsp at ibh.net
Thu May 8 11:38:41 EDT 2008

Re Paul,

On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 03:57:48PM -0400, Paul wrote:
> I did the test etherchannel of course and it's working properly, but
> since I am using the cef load balancing (two 0.0.0.0 routes with the
> same cost)  and it's going out two port channels the algorithm for that
> must be exactly the same as the one for the etherchannel, which explains
> why on etherchannel #1 the packets are going out port #1, and on
> etherchannel #2 the packets are going out port #2..   This is a very
> interesting phenomenon :)

Argh. The crux of simple, harwired hashing algorithms...

> Now I just have to figure out what to do about it..... I Completely
> would not have thought that it would operate like this but I suppose it
> makes sense..  Grr :>
> Any ideas?

Hmm. Dunno exactly what the topology big picture is here, but maybe
just eliminate the Etherchannels and instead have four equal distance
routes point via the four interfaces?

HTH,
Andre.
--
   Real men don't make backups of their mail. They just send it out
    on the Internet and let the secret services do the hard work.

-> Andre Beck    +++ ABP-RIPE +++      IBH IT-Service GmbH, Dresden <-