[c-nsp] QoS ATM sub interface

Nathan have.an.email at gmail.com
Thu May 22 16:56:29 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 5:26 PM, Jason Berenson <jason at pins.net> wrote:
> Nathan,
>
> - We prioritize signaling because if one starts to lose OPTIONS messages for
> example the call will be torn down.

OK thanks :-)

> - How can I run that without an ACL?

The only way would be to make sure they get tagged on coming in to your network.

But the ACL is not the problem, it might have been the problem if you
were seeing too much CPU...

> - Nothing useful in the logs and nothing gets printed to console. We need
> to have different QoS maps for custom jobs so applying a map just to the
> main ATM interface isn't doable.  It has to be applied to the VC since we're
> using CBWFQ:
>
> router(config-subif)#  service-policy output voice
> CBWFQ : Not supported on subinterfaces

Yes, it's logical too because the policy has to know the available
bandwidth, and that's at the VC level.

> I checked Ciscos site and this policy should be fine on the VC.  Here's the
> old policy I was using:
>
> policy-map voice
> class voice-signaling
>  bandwidth percent 5
> class voice-traffic
>  priority percent 70
> class class-default
>  fair-queue
>  random-detect
>
> We were matching on mostly IP/ports with the old one.

You can apply the old policy but not the new one?

What version IOS, what router platform, what ATM interface model?

Looking at your config I can't see any difference between what you are
doing and what I have done for years without any problems on PA-A3
cards on 7206VXR NPE-300 or G1 running most any MPLS-enabled IOSes
from 12.2T through 12.3 up to 12.4T.

Some things you might try:

- check that you are logging debugging messages (I have no idea what
level any errors might be at)

- if you can apply the "old" config, try to find the difference
between the config that you can apply and the one you want to but
can't; try to reduce the difference by trial and error.

- if you can't apply any config, check that your hardware (router and
interface card) and your IOS can do what you want

- Post to the list the IOS and the hardware used as well ans the
configs that work and do not work.

Afraid I can't help you any more than that...

--
HTH
Nathan