[c-nsp] OID to pick up Device Type of Cisco devices

Karl Gaissmaier karl.gaissmaier at uni-ulm.de
Sat Nov 1 13:17:09 EDT 2008

Hello,

Lakshminarayanan P schrieb:
> Hi All,
>

> There is a requirement for me to pick up "device types" of Cisco devices
> using SNMP. Could somebody share a OID or direct me to the MIB file that can
> help me get this information?
>

> For example, a 2811 polled with this OID should return a value which says
> that the device is a "Router".
>

> While I understand that a lot of Cisco modular devices can act as a Switch /
> Router / Firewall / Load Balancer based on the modules installed and/or the
> IOS running, I just need to get the basic device type. As an example, a
> Catalyst 6500 chassis polled with this OID should return something like
> "Switch" regardless of the presence of a Firewall Services Module on it.

if you only need to compare between a pure Layer2 or a Layer3 device,
then you could use the following OID:

>           ipForwarding OBJECT-TYPE
>               SYNTAX  INTEGER {
>                           forwarding(1),    -- acting as a gateway
>                           not-forwarding(2) -- NOT acting as a gateway
>                       }
>               ACCESS  read-write
>               STATUS  mandatory
>               DESCRIPTION
>                       "The indication of whether this entity is acting
>                       as an IP gateway in respect to the forwarding of
>                       datagrams received by, but not addressed to, this
>                       entity.  IP gateways forward datagrams.  IP hosts
>                       do not (except those source-routed via the host).
>
>                       Note that for some managed nodes, this object may
>                       take on only a subset of the values possible.
>                       Accordingly, it is appropriate for an agent to
>                       return a `badValue' response if a management
>                       station attempts to change this object to an
>                       inappropriate value."
>               ::= { ip 1 }

Example:

snmpget YOUR-SWITCH .1.3.6.1.2.1.4.1.0
IP-MIB::ipForwarding.0 = INTEGER: notForwarding(2)

snmpget YOUR-ROUTER .1.3.6.1.2.1.4.1.0
IP-MIB::ipForwarding.0 = INTEGER: forwarding(1)

Regards
	Charly