[c-nsp] Cisco 3550 + BGP

Xavier Beaudouin kiwi at oav.net
Sun Nov 2 03:32:36 EST 2008

Hello,

Le 28 oct. 08 à 10:23, Pierfrancesco Caci a écrit :

> :-> "Nimal" == Nimal David Sirimanne <nimal at fnbs.net> writes:
>
>> Anyone have any experience running BGP on Cisco 3550 platforms? Any
>> idea how many BGP routes it can handle?
>
> last I tried (some 3 years ago) it died with about 7000 routes.
>
> died = cpu 100%, packet loss, black holes eating traffic and the
>       datacenter surrounding it...

Hum, I run a couple of them for IX stuff...

With a sdm prefer routing, you can handle :

sh sdm prefer
  The current template is the routing template.
  The selected template optimizes the resources in
  the switch to support this level of features for
  8 routed interfaces and 1K VLANs.

  number of unicast mac addresses:   5K
  number of igmp groups:             1K
  number of qos aces:                512
  number of security aces:           512
  number of unicast routes:          16K
  number of multicast routes:        1K

Anyway this is really low limits.... But can help sometime.

Another stuff, there is some limitation ... ie ip prefix-list that
handled by configuration of the switch but not evaluated when bgp is
running :/

/Xavier