[c-nsp] HSRP and routing asymmetry

Lincoln Dale ltd at cisco.com
Thu Nov 20 18:15:54 EST 2008

Michael Jager wrote:
> 1. announce both prefixes into the core from both agg devices, and
> have the core prefer the announcement from the agg device that is
> currently the HSRP active router for a given prefix, or:
>
> 2. announce the prefix only from the agg device that is currently the
> HSRP active router for that prefix.
>
> The latter option seems easy enough to do with conditional
> announcements, but that will track a route received from somewhere
> else (presumably the core). I could announce a dummy prefix from one
> agg device to the other; but I'd really like to inextricably link the
> announcement to the HSRP state somehow.
my recommendation would be to advertise the subnet from both, but use
EEM to make the HSRP active advertise it at a lower metric.

as an alternative to that, use your c6k in the agg as an active/active
pair with VSS then you can use all links active.  would require Sup720
though, i believe.

cheers,

lincoln.