[c-nsp] CoPP Hardware Counters on RSP720/7600

Saku Ytti saku+cisco-nsp at ytti.fi
Wed Oct 8 03:30:34 EDT 2008

On (2008-10-07 15:43 +0200), Ivan Gasparik wrote:

Hey Ivan,

> I'm still trying to configure some kind of protection of router's CPU
> against broadcast storms. The most aggressive traffic hitting the CPU
..
> It looks I will have to do combine storm-control applied on the
> physical layer 2 interface and then make a smarter policing using

I have some bad news for you, if you run 6704 :). Lowest possible
working number for storm-control is 0.34%. And this is WAY
too high to protect the control-plane from say L2 broadcast
of valid L3 IPv4 unicast to your router.
 There is no way to thoroughly protect yourself from this,
in this platform.
 Your best bet is, to apply aggressive storm-controls in
the L2 connected to the 6704.

Thanks,
--
  ++ytti