[c-nsp] can I know what is this command issue and want to learn about cisco best practice

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Fri Oct 17 13:48:51 EDT 2008

kcc wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I am new in cisco
>>
>> 1/ Can I know what is this command issue?
>>
>> cisco6513(config)#username peter privilege 15 password 7 peterpassword
>> Invalid encrypted password: peterpassword

Because you have the number "7" after the keyword "password", IOS is
expecting an obfuscated (encrypted is too strong a word here) password
to follow.  You have supplied a plaintext password.  Try:

    username peter privilege 15 password peterpassword

Or for more security if your IOS supports it:

    username peter privilege 15 secret peterpassword

>> 2/ I want to learn about best practice when doing the cisco config?
>> eg:
>> I heard it is better to issue command "eg: shutdown xx sec" when doing the
>> remote configure critical routes
>> it can avoid the lost connection. the router can reload the startup config
>> even though loss the connection

Yes, if you're configuring remotely, you can type:

     reload in 30

which tells the router to reload in 30 minutes.  Then make your
configuration changes.  If you lock yourself out, the changes won't be
written to memory and when the timer expires you can get back in with
the old configuration.  If you are successful in modifying the
configuration without locking yourself out, after saving your changes type:

     reload cancel

to stop the countdown and cancel the reload process.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net