[c-nsp] 3750 stack vs 4507R-E?

Michael K. Smith - Adhost mksmith at adhost.com
Thu Oct 23 20:26:35 EDT 2008

Hello Chris:

> I have 2 SAN boxes and several servers, in addition to the rest of the data
> center's servers to plan a network upgrade for. We are currently using a 4006
> w/Sup II running CatOS 8.4(11)GLX and several older 2950/3500/3550 series
> switches.
>
> All of the equipment is getting older and we are trying to determine what
> would be better...another chassis switch or a 3750 stack? Why would you choose
> one over the other?
>
> Needs:
>
> True Gigabit connectivity for all servers (30-40 of them) and switch uplinks.
> Some switches are using a fiber backbone.
> Redundancy
> Least-cost, best benefit.
> POE on at least 18-24 ports.

Well, the E-series 45xx chassis with the Sup-6E will get you 24 Gb per slot vs. 6 GB per slot on the non-E series.  It appears that all of the E-series GigE blades are 48-port so you have a 2-times oversubscription per card.  Thus, you could only populate each card with 24 full gigE ports.  They do have POE cards in both flavors.

I would also look at the 3560G-48-TS or similar.  You don't get the stacking ports on the back, but they are significantly cheaper and they do full linerate across all 52 ports (48 copper, 4 SFP).  I'm not sure about POE though.

I think I would go with the smaller switches or a 65xx.  I *hate* the convenience interfaces and worrying about adding the 25th port on a 48-port card.

Regards,

Mike