[c-nsp] Root-Guard, Loop-Guard, portfast trunk questions

luismi asturluismi at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 14:12:01 EDT 2008

Hi all,

We have here a 3750 stack working as distribution/core layer between
access switches and some routers, nothing special.

We have few weeks ago an issue with one of the switches and some loops.
We didn¡t find the root cause yet, we don't have neither to enough free
time so we decide to go for the best configuration for our switches.

The topology is quite simple, the 3750 stack with several port-channels
against 2960 switches, each connection from port-channel reach each 3750
switch.

The steps we did until now are...
- Configure primary root bridge manually
- Configure secondary root bridge manually
- Configure "root guard" in every port-channel, at the stack side.

First of all I would like to know if "root guard" is correctly
configured in that place -as far as I understand it is correctly-  and I
would like to know also if there is other places to configure it.

Second.
Loop Guard is not configured at all.
The main reason is that an issue in one of the interfaces related to a
port-channel can take down all the channel. Any comment about this?

Third.
Configured Portfast trunk against the routers since they have also
subinterfaces with several vlans too. Any advantage if we do that?

Any other comments are welcome too.