[c-nsp] FWSM failover transparent mode

Holemans Wim wim.holemans at ua.ac.be
Fri Sep 5 04:35:14 EDT 2008

Just upgraded our FWSM to version 3.1.11 after 3 random crashes in a
month. Now we are thinking about buying a second FWSM to do failover in
order to limit downtime and facilitate upgrades : most of our servers
are connected to the 6513 carrying this FWSM.

We use the 2 standard virtual contexts of the FWSM, both in transparent
mode, 8 bridged vlans on one, 2 bridged vlans on the second.

In the release notes of 3.1.11 I however read under Open Caveats

"CSCm73157 : Failover is not working in transparent mode..."

Anyone has experience with FWSM failover in transparent mode ? Does this
really doesn't work ?

Does it work under 3.2 or 4.0 ?

Any info would be appreciated before we invest more than 15K Euros...

Wim Holemans

Netwerkdienst Universiteit Antwerpen