[c-nsp] Inter VRF Routing help needed

cc loo s00664233 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 11:05:18 EDT 2008

Hi Oliver,
Thanks for the quick reply.

Indeed i was referring to VRF-LITE

In the cisco.com example, they gave this

Router(config)# *ip vrf customer_a*

Router(config-vrf)# *rd 1:1    <----*

Router(config-vrf)# *route-target both 1:1  <----*

Router(config)# *interface fastEthernet 0.1*

Router(config-subif)# ip vrf forwarding customer_a

is there any specific reason why cisco recommends using "both"
(export/import) for its own RD ?

Oliver's example is here, but i would like to confirm if 1:100 is a typo or
should it be 1:1 (like its own RD?):
ip vrf customer_A
 rd 1:1       <-----
 route-target export 1:100     <----
 route-target import 1:900

I wonder wondering if this is the correct place to post newbie questions
like these ?
Im a junior engineer in a singaporean isp, hoping to learn more tricks and
tips in the field of IP planning :D