[c-nsp] Check bandwidth on router

Arie Vayner (avayner) avayner at cisco.com
Fri Sep 12 14:32:50 EDT 2008

Actually, you can use IP SLA for bandwidth testing too. You just need to
find some file which can be pulled off the internet via HTTP/FTP, and
use IP SLA to get it.
The only thing is that you would be killing your user's access to the
net at the time of the test, so testing during peak hours would be out
of the question, while testing the bandwidth in off-peak hours does not
mean much, as the ISP would have extra BW...

I would monitor the response time for HTTP for small web sites, and just
monitor the trend. The bottom line is that your end users do not really
care about the raw amount of bandwidth, but are really looking for good
response time and consistent service level.

Its called "Quality of Experience" as opposed to "Quality of Service".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality_of_Experience

Arie