[c-nsp] PA-POS-1OC3 vs. PA-A3-OC3SMI

Paul G. Timmins ptimmins at clearrate.com
Thu Sep 18 18:27:34 EDT 2008

The transmux would allow you to cross connect the DS1s and rearrange
them, in case you had each DS3 going to different routers and wanted to
move a T1 around between them. Without it, it's just a mux that does a
1:1 relationship between STS-1 payloads and DS3 outputs. Either way
you'd need a PA-MC-T3 card. The Transmux cards are DS3 output, just like
the normal DS3 card, but have the ability to rearrange the T1s within
the payload.

You'd also need a pair of 15454-XC-VT rather than just the 15454-XC, and
vt 1.5 framing on the STS-1s coming to you.

I am not sure if you need to move DS1s around - if you don't - the
earlier solution is easier but it still handles DS3s, not OC3s.

(Also note that the XC-VT has a limit of 12 DS3s of VT1.5 payloads going
through it, so there are limitations even with that)