[c-nsp] PA-POS-1OC3 vs. PA-A3-OC3SMI

Eric Van Tol eric at atlantech.net
Fri Sep 19 06:45:37 EDT 2008

This is what I was going to suggest.  We use the 1CHOC12-SMIR-QPP to break out T1s from an OC12 and it works great.  You can channelize all the way to DS0 with these PICs, running full QoS on individual channels if you want.  Full QoS means marking, queuing, scheduling, PLP, etc. on individual channels down to a DS0, without a performance hit to the box or *anything* being punted to software.  Beware - only the 'QPP' PICs can do this.  If you try and go cheap-o and get an old style CHOC3-SMIR PIC, (or DS3, or OC12, or GE), your QoS capabilities are severely limited.

Unfortunately, I am not aware of a Cisco counterpart to this type of solution.

-evt