[c-nsp] Cisco ZX and HP LH

Eric Van Tol eric at atlantech.net
Fri Sep 19 16:39:29 EDT 2008

LH/ZX should work fine, assuming the LH *is* really the counterpart to Cisco's ZX.  It's best to double-check the specs of each and ensure that they both run at 1550nm.  A short distance of 11 miles on a ZX will likely require a 5-10dB attenuator on the receive side of each link, depending on the total optical loss.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you'll want to get your levels down to between -15dB and -20dB.

One of the most useful investments you can ever make will be to purchase an optical power meter so you can test the light levels coming in prior to plugging the fiber into your optics.

-evt