[c-nsp] c4000

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Tue Sep 23 10:03:09 EDT 2008

On Monday 22 September 2008 18:59:02 adrian kok wrote:
> Hi all
>
> ls any different to setup vlan between catalyst 4000
> and 2960?
>
> I need to setup the cisco2800 to have vlan this 4000
> switch
>
> ls it easy?
>
> how setup the trunk port in 4000 switch?

I still have CatOS switches in my LAN; they work, work well, and there's no
need to upgrade what isn't broken.  It IS a different interface, though.

The two best books I have on the subject are Kennedy Clark's "Cisco LAN
Switching" (which is old enough to still deal with the older Catalysts)
and "Cisco Field Manual: Catalyst Switch Configuration."

I personally, for VLAN and trunking 'things' find the CatOS interface more
intuitive and more powerful than the IOS interface; and I have switches with
both, incidentally.  Although none of my IOS switches have interface range
capabilities; when dealing with lots of ports, the CatOS port ranging
capability is very handy, and less error-prone in typing (repetitive typing
of bridge-group or switchport commands is both a drag and an error center).

In my LAN, I have all switches set to VTP transparent mode, and I've not yet
needed to prune VLANs from trunks, so my setup is fairly simple.  In that
environment, setting up trunks is very simple.  The only thing you need to
think hard about is getting the native VLAN right.  All my trunks are 802.1Q,
so take the following config snippets in that context:
[snip]
#vtp
set vtp mode transparent
set vlan 1 name default type ethernet mtu 1500 said 100001 state active
set vlan 101 name erc-10-250-130-link type ethernet mtu 1500 said 100101 state
active
set vlan 103 name smiley type ethernet mtu 1500 said 100103 state active
set vlan 105 name erc-72 type ethernet mtu 1500 said 100105 state active
set vlan 192 name old-internal type ethernet mtu 1500 said 100192 state active
set vlan 201 name 12012-uplink type ethernet mtu 1500 said 100201 state active
[snip]
#standby ports
set standbyports enable
[snip]
#module 1 : 2-port 1000BaseX Supervisor IIIG
set vlan 192  1/2
set vlan 201  1/1
set trunk 1/2  on dot1q 1-1005
!
#module 2 : 2-port 1000BaseX Supervisor IIIG
set vlan 192  2/1-2
set trunk 2/2  on dot1q 1-1005
!
#module 3 : 3-port 1000BaseX Ethernet
set vlan 192  3/1-3
set trunk 3/1  on dot1q 1-1005
set trunk 3/2  on dot1q 1-1005
set trunk 3/3  on dot1q 1-1005
!
[snip]

Hope that helps.

Like I said, my setup is fairly simple, and vlan pruning on trunks has not yet
become an issue, so none are pruned currently.  Your mileage may vary; your
setup may be complex enough to think carefully about what vlans propagate
over which trunks.
--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer