[c-nsp] How does the egress PE determine which VRF the VPN label is for?

Andy Saykao andy.saykao at staff.netspace.net.au
Tue Sep 23 19:57:12 EDT 2008

Given the scenario in which the packet has reached the egress PE, how
does the router then determine which VRF the packet is destined for
based on the remaining VPN label? I understand the concept of there
being two labels, an IGP label and a VPN label. I'm just not sure how
the egress PE is able to deduce that the VPN label is for a particular
VRF.

Eg:

PE1 -> P1 -> P2 -> PE2

*** First, a CEF lookup is performed on PE1 at the time the IP packet
enters the ingress PE from an interface belonging to VRF TEST and shows
that the following tags/labels {4771 44169} are pushed onto the IP
packet.

PE1#sh ip cef vrf TEST 172.16.66.2
172.16.66.2/32, version 58, epoch 0, cached adjacency 203.10.x.x
0 packets, 0 bytes
  tag information set
    local tag: VPN-route-head
    fast tag rewrite with Gi0/0.11, 203.10.x.x, tags imposed: {4771
44169}
  Flow: Origin AS 0, Peer AS 0, mask 32
  via 210.15.x.x, 0 dependencies, recursive
    next hop 203.10.x.x, GigabitEthernet0/0.11 via 210.15.x.x/32
    valid cached adjacency
    tag rewrite with Gi0/0.11, 203.10.x.x, tags imposed: {4771 44169}

*** The label packet then uses the IGP label to determine the LSP and
ends up at PE2 with just the VPN label left {44169}.

*** PE2 checks it's mpls forwarding table and finds the following entry:

PE2#sh mpls forwarding-table label 44169
Local  Outgoing    Prefix            Bytes tag  Outgoing   Next Hop
tag    tag or VC   or Tunnel Id      switched   interface
44169  Aggregate   172.16.66.2/32[V] 5752

*** From the book "MPLS Fundamentals", it says - "Aggregate means that
the aggregating LSR needs to remove the label of the incoming packet and
must do an IP lookup to determine the more specific prefix to use for
forwarding this IP packet."

What I don't get from that explaination is:

- What is involved in doing an "IP lookup" as the next step?
- How does the router figure out that the prefix 172.16.66.2 is a route
belonging to VRF TEST?
- Is it something to do with MP-BGP because when I do a BGP lookup on
the prefix, I see the word "aggregate" followed by the VRF name. How
does this information then tie in with what's contained in the mpls
forwarding table to deduce that it's VRF TEST we want.

PE2#sh ip bgp vpnv4 rd 4854:100660 172.16.66.2
BGP routing table entry for 4854:100660:172.16.66.2/32, version 811
Paths: (1 available, best #1, table TEST)
  Advertised to peer-groups:
     NS-MPLS-VPN
  Local
    0.0.0.0 from 0.0.0.0 (203.17.x.x)
      Origin incomplete, metric 0, localpref 100, weight 32768, valid,
sourced, best
      Extended Community: RT:4854:100660,
      mpls labels in/out 44169/aggregate(TEST)

Everything is working fine - I'm just trying to understand the little
intricate details of MPLS VPN's that make them work, so I can picture it
in my mind.

Thanks.

Andy

Probably an easy question, but what is the next step that a router takes
to find the next interface or next hop it needs to send the VPN label
to?

Please notify the sender immediately by email if you have received this
email by mistake and delete this email from your system. Please note that
 any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the
 author and do not necessarily represent those of the organisation.
Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for
the presence of viruses. The organisation accepts no liability for any