[c-nsp] Conditional BGP

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Tue Sep 23 20:50:30 EDT 2008

Brandon Price wrote:
> Could you guys recommend some good books or other documentation on some
> of these BGP "best practice" methodologies? I am a BGP novice but would
> like to get myself more up to speed on BGP kung fu.
> I found this current thread somewhat fascinating.

That's a tough question to answer well.  To date, I haven't found many
books that give the real-world knowledge needed to "make one a pro".  A
few recommendations do come to mind though:

1) Ask a few folks for sample configs (I'll ping separately offlist and
we'll figure out which ones I can send that'll make sense).
2) View the NANOG presentation archives.  Several come to mind; I'll try
to compile a list of suggestions, or just browse away.
3) "Be the router."  Use 3x5 notecards or something, and think through
the BGP decision process for a single prefix sometime, as though you're
each relevant router along a particular path.  When I have to
troubleshoot a problem, I go through this myself router-by-router, and
it works (since...it's...what really happens!) quite well.

pt