[c-nsp] Maximizing Router capabilities

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Mon Sep 29 08:50:40 EDT 2008

On Monday 29 September 2008 05:16:03 Dean Smith wrote:
> Given recent experience on IOS in general I suspect the difference is that
> the Enterprise code has "no QA" and the SP has "virtually no QA"
>
> We already have ASRs and the pricing difference is indeed there. No-one
> could really explain it to us.

Perception of higher quality in an SP-oriented release, I guess.

Reminds me of a time several years back when I purchased some PVC conduit
weatherheads for a project I was doing; I bought two 1-1/2 inch weatherheads,
and two 2 inch weatherheads; the 2 inchers being twice the price of the 1-1/2
inchers.  The counter sales rep put the four weatherheads (along with other
things I needed) into a box, which I carried home.  Once home I opened the
box, and thought the sales guy had put four 2 inchers in by mistake, until I
looked very closely.  He had sold me, as 1-1/2 inch weatherheads, 2 inch
weatherheads with glued-in 1-1/2 reducers.  More materials, higher cost;
lower price.

Go figure.

Pricing has everything to do with how much one is willing to pay.
--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer