[c-nsp] T3 or Ethernet delivery?

Lee ler762 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 09:20:30 EDT 2009

For us, price =is= the deciding factor.  A 45Mb ethernet service costs
us much less than a real T3.

We replaced a T3 circuit with a 45Mb ethernet service and then
discovered that the RTT went from 12ms on the T3 to 39ms on the
ethernet circuit.  Much discussion with the provider about
re-engineering the circuit to get the RTT down and then much more
waiting for them to schedule a service window ... and we've now got a
35ms RTT.

Another 'gotcha' is MTU size.  It's trivially easy to run IPSec over a
T3 without fragmenting packets.  Ethernet however...  we ended up
dumping one provider because they (w|c)ouldn't give us more than a
1524 [?not sure] byte MTU.

A nice thing about getting ethernet service is that more bandwidth is
just a phone call away.  We bumped the speed up from 45 to 100Mb and
are still paying less for the 100Mb ethernet service than we were for
the T3.   Still have that 35ms RTT though..

Input access lists that end with "deny ip any any log-input" are your
friend.  We just brought up a new circuit & I was seeing strange stuff
hitting our router.  Call the provider (who is my new love - the
person answering the phone was the person that fixed the problem ...
while I was on the phone!! ), give 'em the offending IP address and
get told it's a pure L2 network on their side.  *sigh*  change the
access-list from log to log-input, give him the offending MAC address,
he finds the offending box & fixes the config.

If you care at all about keeping your data private, put everything
inside an IPSec tunnel.  You have no idea who/what else is on that
same ethernet circuit.

If you care at all about throwing your packets into a black-hole, run
a routing protocol over the tunnel.

If you care at all about actually using the bandwidth you're paying
for, get the hardware crypto accelerator card for your platform.

> ... It scares me to think of opening trouble tickets as "it's
> broken and I can't really tell you why".

Welcome to user-land :)   Just remember to act like a real user and
lie when they ask you to reboot the box & see if that fixes the
problem.

HTH,
Lee