[c-nsp] Ping priority on Cisco devices

Ruben Alvarez raa at opusnet.com
Wed Apr 8 14:03:40 EDT 2009

All,

I've heard that Cisco devices handle ICMP at a low priority.  I found one
post describing it handled in process-switching and not fast-switching.
Does anyone have an article that explains that process and is it
configurable?

The reason I ask is I see about 4% packet loss when I ping devices in our
broadband aggregation network.  From the CPE to the router there is none,
from my workstation to the router there is none, but if I ping the whole
path I get a fairly consistent 4% loss.  I can't find any congestion or
errors.  Ping from my workstation to the CPE are a consistent 60ms, aside
from the 4% loss.

Thanks.