[c-nsp] OT: SNMP Trap manager recommendation

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Fri Apr 10 11:14:10 EDT 2009

I'm in need of a decent SNMP Trap manager that scales and is free (OSS)
or cheap.  I currently Nagios for my NMS and Cacti for data collection
and graphing so clearly I'm a fan of OSS solutions.  I read an article
several years ago in the now defunct SysAdmin magazine on tying in
SNMP-TT into Nagios.  Is there a better way?  I need to collect traps
from Hatteras equipment mainly but once I have it I'm sure I'll use it
for other things as well.

My searches have so far turned up JFFNMS, OpenNMS, Mila NetWhistler,
NetCool (expensive?) and a few others.  There's also the GroundWork fork
of Nagios and other OSS tools that may be useful.

Any recommendations?  Thanks
  Justin