[c-nsp] Automatically Synchronize IOS Router Configurations?

Reuben Farrelly reuben-cisco-nsp at reub.net
Thu Apr 23 00:47:33 EDT 2009

On 23/04/2009 1:07 PM, Ian Henderson wrote:
> Felix Nkansah wrote on 2009-04-23:
>
>> Among other things, their requirement is for their HSRP or GLBP routers
>> to automatically synchronize their running configurations.
>
> You could avoid the problem entirely, but still meet the objective by using VSS?

How about using the "archive" commands in IOS to remotely copy the config off
the router every time it was saved, something like this:

archive
  log config
  path tftp://192.168.10.10:/configs/router/router-confg
  write-memory

...and then run a kron (yes Kron not Cron) job on the router to periodically
copy the config from that tftp location into startup?

Then if you wanted to get especially fancy then have an event manager (EEM)
script on router 2 which upon detecting that the other router was down, would
send an email alert off, initiate a reload 60 seconds later and come up with the
config from router 1 which was in startup-config?  I'd be wary of implementing
that step without a lot of testing, but it might work for you...

Reuben