[c-nsp] Worst case: Compromised Internet router?

ChrisSerafin chris at chrisserafin.com
Sat Apr 25 18:01:51 EDT 2009

So I'm trying ot lock down and Internet router and I had a few thoughts
pop in my head...of what is the worst thing that could happen, other
than someone bricking the device and locking ligit users out of the
router? Here are some questions I thought of.....let me know what you
think....

    * If the device doesn't have any private IP's on it....I can't
      create a remote VPN client connection to it and then login to the
      network. How could I capture/sniff traffic to a .pcap in this
      scenario? I would like to do this besides redirecting traffic over
      GRE tunnels to a different router I have, just to sniff.....this
      scenario sounds good, but I assume would interrupt traffic to the
      point I would notice it and take action in a 24/7 NOC

Thanks.....