[c-nsp] ASA / EIGRP / Redundant Interfaces

Jason Link Jason.Link at whgroup.com
Thu Apr 30 12:39:10 EDT 2009

Unfortunately, EIGRP on the ASA doesn't appear to support the max-paths
command.

Both physical interfaces are in the same VLAN, connected to different
switches that are trunked together...and I understand that only one
switchport "should" be active, and it is shown as such when doing a "sh
int redun1 detail", but it appears to be learning (and using) routes
from both routers that are on the VLAN.

Additionally, I'm not sure HSRP would help me in a situation like this,
since the way I understand it the ASA will still learn both routers
"real" IP address and will form a neighbor to each one.  I would like to
avoid calling out the neighbor specifically, if I can help it.

Maybe I could play around with the RSTP priority on the particular
switch uplink ports to make it so that one of the ports is blocking -
that way if a switch dies, that port will stop blocking and then
converge.  It may take a little longer, but I believe the end result
would be the same...but I'm not sure this is any better than calling out
the neighbor specifically (the HSRP address).