[c-nsp] What router to choose instead of 7206VXR-G1/G2 (Ruzhanskaya Olga)

Ольга Ружанская frosya84 at mail.ru
Mon Aug 3 05:05:03 EDT 2009

Hello List!

Questions about "platformX vs platformY" or "what platform to choose" is not new for discussion here, but I didn't find mails in archives that directly fits to my needs. So, I would really appreciate any suggestions (or usefull references or links :-)).

We are using 7206VXR-G1/G2 platform as edge router (PE) in our MPLS network.
When traffic volume grows, we replace NPE-G1 processor with NPE-G2.
But in future we'll need something more powerfull.
General requirements:
- OSPF, BGP (full table for our own needs and for customers);
- MPLS VPN (L3 and L2);
- CBWFQ (better LLQ) QoS, uRPF, GRE..

As core routers (P) - we use 7600(RSP-720). But it is more expensive and not so flexible as software platform (NetFlow issues, specific QoS, etc. ).
So, we need something "between 7206VXR-G2 and 7600(RSP-720)". Any suggestions?
I was looking at ASR 10xx series and want to know the opinion of people who use it as PE router.

Best regards,
Olga