[c-nsp] DS3 circuit error

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Wed Aug 12 16:52:03 EDT 2009

Oddiraju, Kiran @ London SMC wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>

> Our T3 controller is down and the SP has asked me what I am seeing on my
> end. Below is the show controllers command on my router. Could you tell
> me where the problem is based on the output below?
>

> Router#sh controllers t3
>
> T3 3/0 is down.
>
>   Applique type is Subrate T3

>   Transmitter is sending remote alarm.

You are sending a signal to the other end reporting that the signal that
you are receiving is unacceptable.  This is happening because...

>   Receiver is getting AIS.

You are receiving all 1s from the other end.

Typically, this means that there is a problem with the equipment sending
toward you.  Something upstream has lost signal and is sending an AIS
(Alarm Indication Signal) to you.  You respond by sending RAI (Remote
Alarm Indicator) notifying the other end of the bad signal that you are
receiving.

More info here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk713/tk628/technologies_tech_note09186a0080344194.shtml

which shortens to: