[c-nsp] Open Source Substitute for Cisco's Secure ACS?

Matthew Huff mhuff at ox.com
Thu Aug 13 15:27:47 EDT 2009

> Not so much - we use ACS for TACACS services and proxy the TACACS via
> RADIUS for some application but Cisco ACS is now an appliance and on
> the
> close order of 8K + SmartNet so you are looking at 20K $US for a new
> solution.

The newer version 5.0 of ACS is available only as an appliance, but the 4.x
is still available for Unix and Windows. Cisco will be providing upgrade
paths in the future to 5.0 on the software side.

From
http://cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/netmgtsw/ps5698/ps6767/ps9911/ps9915/
data_sheet_c78-504202.html

"Ordering Information

Cisco Secure ACS 5.0 does not replace ACS 4.2. Cisco Secure ACS 5.0 is the
next-generation platform for centralized identity and access policy
management. Some of the key areas of functionality differences include
protocol support, external database support, and provisioning interfaces.
Customers that choose to deploy ACS 4.2 will have future upgrade paths to
the next-generation ACS 5.x platform.
Please see the Cisco Secure ACS 5.0 User Guide at
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9911/tsd_products_support_series_home.
html for a more detailed comparison of ACS 4.0 and ACS 5.0."

----
Matthew Huff       | One Manhattanville Rd
OTA Management LLC | Purchase, NY 10577
http://www.ox.com  | Phone: 914-460-4039
aim: matthewbhuff  | Fax:   914-460-4139