[c-nsp] Large networks

David Hughes david at hughes.com.au
Wed Aug 26 18:56:03 EDT 2009

On 26/08/2009, at 11:58 PM, Gert Doering wrote:

> Which is why we are VERY happy with "every customer has a different L3
> subnet" - and yes, this is wasting a few IPv4 addresses, but since our
> customers usually have more than one machine, it's not "75%".  Even
> so,
> the time of IPv4 is past, and we should stop worrying about it.

I'm with Gert on this.  Our hosting networks are all configured this
way.  And, regarding the OP's comment about VPS, why view a virtual
server any differently?   Each customer with either physical or
virtual servers gets a vlan and IP allocation for those servers.   The
virtuals quite happily vmotion around the network to their hearts
content.  Each ESX cluster node gets to see the vlans for all the VM's
on that cluster.  No big deal - it's just a dot1q trunk after all.

David