[c-nsp] Network Configuration and Generation Management

chip chip.gwyn at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 15:34:53 EST 2009

Hi all,

I'm looking for input on applications to generate configuration and manage
network devices for a fairly large base of devices (>2000).  Specifically
for routers and switches, not so much linux or windows hosts.  There seems
to be a great number of apps to backup and manage the configs of devices,
help you track changes and what-not.  I'm looking more for something to help
generate configuration based on templates, tags, or some such and then push
changes out to devices.  Whether the change will be to 1 router for a
customer config or to 50 routers for ACL updates.

What do you folks use?  Homegrown apps, commercial products, lots of
individual tools?  Big or small, I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks!

--chip

--
Just my $.02, your mileage may vary,  batteries not included, etc....